Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool – A Complete Guide
With the help of this blog users can achieve accurate outcomes after the migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365.
If you have planned to migrate towards the cloud-based platform, which is Office 365, from the on-premises Lotus Notes email client, then this blog will make you understand some reliable migration techniques better. Furthermore, it provides information about the most efficient process for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration.
Office 365 has several user-friendly built-in applications such as Skype for business, yammer, Excel, Outlook Online, etc. It allows users to work anywhere but only requires an internet connection. Conversely, setting up Lotus Notes requires infrastructure and a hefty amount.
Users who want to go with Office 365 only need to pay a subscription amount. Users looking for the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration can go with the manual and the third-party migration tool. However, to make things more precise, we have listed some of the better ways through which it is easier to move the complete data of Lotus Notes into Microsoft Office 365. However, before explaining the migration solution, we will inform you about the migration reasons.
Some reason behind the migration from Lotus Notes into Office 365
Different reasons are there insist users change their email client. To check out a few reasons for the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration, look at the below-mentioned points.
- Using Lotus Notes for a novice user is a little complicated due to its user interface. Office 365 is one of the best SaaS to provide an intuitive platform that makes it easier to manage everything right from emailing to data management.
- The set cost for installing the HCL Notes in an organization cost way much more than Office 365 environment. The user only needs to pay a small amount towards purchasing the subscription plan.
- Lotus Notes will take off extra space from the system memory while running, sometimes creating an issue for the system’s working.
- Users of IBM Notes need to take backups of their data, and they keep the software up to date. Office 365 itself update at regular interval.
- Microsoft provides better security features to secure users of Office 365 than any other email client.
- Multiple users have reported issues in synchronizing the HCL Notes and the IBM Domino Server.
These are some of the reasons which are why users tend to look for migration toward the cloud-based Office 365 platform. If you want to migrate the data from your Lotus Notes account successfully to Office 365, kindly stay in this blog as there are some methods you will find in this blog that will help to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365 in a better way.
Manual approaches to migrate NSF file data into Office 365
The approach that we will cover is using the MONTI.exe migration guide which will be available on the Microsoft official website. Users can download it from the Microsoft website by visiting its download section. After installing it, make sure to unzip the download file. After that, one needs to follow the 84-page long Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration guide which will include all the long steps and procedures to migrate the Lotus Notes data. However, staying in touch with the IT Expert is better because anything that goes wrong during the migration can lead to migration failure.
Alternatively, users can approach the second manual method which is using the IMAP connector. Follow the below-mentioned points to perform the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration effectively.
It is essential to back up the complete HCL Notes accounts data locally to avoid future miss-happening. Afterward, create the mailbox for each Lotus Notes user in the Office 365 environment.
Enable the TCP/IP Port for all Users
- From the Lotus Notes application, you need to open the Domino Admin account.
- Now, visit the configuration tab of it.
- After that, open the Server document where all IMAP services are saved.
- Click on Ports, Internet Ports, and at last Mail Port
- You can now enable the TCP/IP port value status from the IMAP Column.
- At last, click on save to complete the process.
Once done with all procedures, the next step is synchronizing the Lotus Notes emails with Office 365 using the IMAP Connector. After performing this task, you will get successfully migrated to Office365.
Why does manual migration fail to deliver in some cases?
Sometimes users need to migrate a small amount of data, but they may need to move their organization’s data at many time. So in that scenario, the manual methods fail to process multiple mailboxes simultaneously. In addition, a single mistake during migration can put the company’s data trouble. More situations like the lack of technical knowledge of the user can be the reasons behind the migration failure. Manual migration is complicated for most users, whereas the third-party migration tool provides a better user interface.
On the contrary, a professional third-party migration solution also helps to achieve the target in a hassle-free manner. We will go into detail about such software to do migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365 environment.
Reliable software to Migrate from Lotus Notes into Office 365
Much has been discussed about the free method to move the NSF files data into Office 365. Having multiple disadvantages of the manual migration method, it is better to go with an alternative solution to eliminate such limitations. Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration software is one of the top-notch utilities to carry out the migration task better.
It also ensures to maintain of data integrity while migrating the user data. Once the user adds up the NSF files or the Lotus Notes mailboxes from the Domino Server, it allows the preview of all of them with their original hierarchy. The software also has the option to eliminate the undesired data from the migration with its filter option. Along with migrating from Lotus Notes into Office 365, users can convert NSF files into MSG & EML file formats.
The folder mapping facility of this software also comes beneficial to map any selective source folder with the target. This feature will solve the problem of moving the data into one particular folder. If we look at its other features, an incremental export option which is one of its advanced functions helps a lot in cases when process interruptions are expected due to network issues or any other. Users can also try its free demo version to evaluate the performance in different circumstances. However, we have given it work to migrate the data from the HCL Notes into the Office 365 account.
Simple Steps to migrate into Office 365 from Lotus Notes through Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool
- The first step for the migration is to open the software on the system.
- After that, you need to add the required Lotus Notes NSF files to the software. You can use the software to add NSF files; add Domino Server NSF files option to add them. Later on, click on the ok button.
- Once the files are added up, select the Office 365 option from the ribbon bar of the software.
- Users can migrate the selected folder using the tool check/uncheck subfolder option.
- In the next wizard, users must enter their Office 365 credentials and press the Next button.
- Next, here, there is an option given to validate the target.
- Users can apply the filter option to include or remove a particular item.
- After implementing the required set of filters, users can click on Next, and afterward, the software will start processing the data and show you the live process log.
Migration into a cloud-based Office 365 is complex, as users’ needs to go through a lengthy migration procedure. However, there are several options through which users can do this task in minimal time. This write-up will help you migrate your data from the Lotus Notes email client to Office 365. Although users may find using the manual Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration step by step procedures a bit tricky. Alternatively, we have also suggested one tool that will help you migrate your data quickly and hassle-free. Users can also try the software demo version to get a fair idea about the tool’s workings.